Now that Spring is upon us it is time to start the spring cleaning and one of the important things we must do is give your mattress a good cleaning.
Here are some tips on what you should do and what you shouldn’t do when cleaning your mattress:
Things to do:
1. Turn your mattress over by 180 degrees.
2. Remove any small stains with a solution mixture of a mild detergent mixed with water. Ensure you air dry the area before you make up the bed.
3. Use large thirsty towels in order to soak up any large liquid stains. Ensure you air dry the mattress outdoors or with a portable electric fan. Ensure the total surface of your mattress is thoroughly dry. This step is extremely important.
4. Use a special mattress cleaner making sure you follow the manufacturer’s instructions for any stubborn stains. Don’t forget to test a small part of the fabric first.
5. Take advantage of using a mattress cover. Mattress covers actually eliminate bed bugs from your bed!
6. Get in the habit of turning your mattress over every 3 months or so and do your very best to vacuum it.
7. Take advantage of a mattress protector in order to eliminate the need for extra mattress cleanings. As you can tell, it is a lot easier to clean a mattress protector than it is to clean a mattress. It makes life easier, that’s for sure.
3 Things Not To Do:
1. Never ever use any type of dry cleaning solutions when cleaning your mattress.
2. Avoid the use of baking soda on a wet mattress because it will begin to form a paste which can be quite difficult to clean up.
3. Do not put your mattress in the washing machine. Cleaning with a hose or in a bathtub is best. Do not forget to close the valve while washing. For general cleaning, a quick scrubbing with Formula 409®, BioClean™ All-Purpose Cleaner, or other general household cleaner is best.
Source by Justine Jordan